Thursday, September 8, 2016

Chicken Pot "Pie"

I absolutely love my Instant Pot.  Like, a lot.  I feel like I'm cheating the dinner game every night.  Y'all, this cooks for 4 minutes.  It's SUPER easy.  Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I modified this recipe from This Old Gal.  I love her blog and Facebook page.  She's got tons of great recipes.  This recipe, however, I found to be a little "much".  There's about 3 different sets of instructions depending on what method of her recipe you decide to piece together...so this is the simplified version.  In her original recipe she lists sub recipes for her version of homemade biscuits, homemade seasoning salt and homemade cream of chicken soup.  If you're interested in making homemade versions of those ingredients, knock yourself out!  I admire you.  But for the sake of my sanity and those of you who like things easy peasy, I'm posting my modified, simplified version.  And oh my WORD is it delicious!!!!

2lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 cup flour
seasoning salt to taste (I use Lawry's)
Italian seasoning to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 medium potatoes, washed, peeled (I don't peel them), and cut into 1 inch chunks
16oz bag frozen mixed veggies
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can refrigerated biscuit dough, cut each biscuit into 4 pieces

Turn your IP onto the Saute feature and allow it to come to full temp.  
While it's heating up, add seasoning salt to taste to the flour.  Dredge the chicken chunks in the flour and shake off excess.  
Once the IP has come to full temp (it will say HOT),  add the olive oil and add the flour dredged chicken.  Allow the chicken to cook just until the outsides have some slight color...2-3 minutes.
Turn off your IP and add the chicken broth to deglaze the pot.
Next, add the potatoes in a single layer on top of the chicken.
Top the potatoes with the bag of frozen mixed veggies.
Season the veggies with seasoning salt and a little bit of black pepper.
Spread the can of cream of chicken soup over the top of the veggies.
Add the biscuit pieces on top of the soup.  If you have a 6qt. IP, you'll have to smoosh them in to make them fit.  If you have an 8qt IP, they'll fit perfectly in a single layer.
Sprinkle the tops of the biscuits with a little more seasoning salt and some Italian seasoning.
Lock the IP lid into place and make sure it's set to Sealing.
Process on Manual, High for 4 minutes.  
Allow it to natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
Quick release after the 10 minutes are up, remove the lid and ladle generous portions into bowls.  
Enjoy!

No comments: