Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Lemon-Garlic Chicken

I have to admit that I was nervous to try this recipe.  I'm not sure why I was so hesitant, because everything sounds good, but there was just something about it.  The comments on it were nothing but 5 stars so I gave it a whirl.  WOW!  It's SO good.  Don't be scared.

1-2 lbs. chicken, any cut is fine.  I always have boneless skinless chicken breasts so that's what I used.  But you could use thighs, legs, bone in, bone out...anything is fine.
1 tsp. kosher salt.
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
5 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup chicken broth (or 3/4 cup water and 1 chicken bouillon cube)
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. paprika
1 large lemon, juiced (ooooor 4 drops of Young Living Lemon Vitality essential oil...ahhhh-mazing!)
1-2 tsp. cornstarch

Turn your Instant Pot on the Sauté feature.
Add the olive oil or butter.  When the oil is hot (mine was smoking a bit) add the onion and cook until the onions are soft.
Add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the cornstarch (and essential oil if you're using that).
Lock the Instant Pot lid into place and make sure the steam valve is set to closed.  
Select the "Poultry" setting and allow the cook time to complete.  
When the cook time is over, Quick Release to relieve the pressure and carefully remove the lid.  
Turn your Instant Pot onto the Sauté feature again.
Remove the chicken from the pot and place on a plate.  
Add the Lemon essential oil if using.
Combine the cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and add to the pot to thicken the sauce.  
Allow the sauce the reduce a bit until it's thickened to your liking.
Return the chicken to the pot.

I served this with Jalepeno Poppers and green beans.  (Is that a weird combo?  Maybe?  I'm pregnant so it made sense to me...but in writing maybe not so much.)  Annnnyyyyway.  I have gestational diabetes so I opted to not serve it with any starchy carbs.  If you're not worried about it being low carb, this would be awesome served with some buttered linguini with a nice drizzle of that amazing sauce over it.  It would also be yummy with rice.

No comments: