Thursday, May 26, 2016

No Drip Popsicles


It's SUMMER TIME!!!  Whoop whoop!  For our family that means fun filled mornings and afternoons at the lake and relaxing evenings on the deck.  But, let's be real...this is Virginia and Virginia is H-O-T!  Popsicles are our treat of choice when we need to cool off.  But I loathe the mess.   Spending extra time on popsicle stained shirts in the laundry room is not my idea of a good time.  So, naturally, I turned to the Pinterest gods.  Low and behold, I found this lady who has a super cool blog and NO DRIP popsicles.  Yes please!!!  My daughter LOVES them because they're super fruity tasting and I love them because they don't make a mess.  For real.  No joke.  I wouldn't lie to a fellow mom about such a thing as this.  So let our kiddos pick out whatever flavor or flavors they want and have fun!  My daughter picked out her next flavors already.  She wanted cherry this time but next time she wants blue, purple, and orange stripes.  A quick note about these.  The recipe calls for a little extra sugar.  I know...that's like a bad word these days but I've made it with and without the extra sugar.  I prefer it with the sugar because the finished popsicles come out of the molds so much easier. I lost a lot of popsicles because the sticks came out without the popsicles on them when I didn't add the sugar.  I'm not tellin' ya what to do, but we add it for that reason.

3oz package of Jell-O powder (Fun Fact: The Jolly Rancher brand jell-o is BOMB!)
4 cups water, divided
1/3 cup sugar (optional)
popsicle molds

Bring 2 cups of water to a boil.  
Meanwhile, add the jell-o powder and sugar to a glass bowl.
Add the boiling water to the jell-o powder and sugar mixture and stir until all of the powder has dissolved; about 2 minutes.
Add 2 cups of cold water and stir well.
Pour the jell-o into popsicle molds and freeze until solid.  I usually get 14-18 popsicles...depending on the size of the molds I'm using.  I typically get my molds from Ikea because they're good toddler sized pops.

No comments: