Saturday, September 4, 2021

Paleo White Chicken Chili

 

You'll notice some Paleo recipes coming across the blog as I try new recipes.  My doctor recently put me on a Paleo diet and I was SO nervous about it at first.  I didn't need to be.  It's not that different than how we normally eat.  The biggest change for me is the elimination of dairy (oh sweet cheese how I miss you!) and my morning piece of toast.  But other than cutting dairy and grains, we're big meat and veggie eaters which basically boils down the Paleo diet.  And I have to say, I've been SUPER impressed with all of the recipes we've tried.  This one is SO flavorful and I don't miss the dairy at all.  Give it a shot!

A couple of notes before we get started.  I'm being conservative with the garlic amounts in the recipe.  But you should know that instead of the 4 cloves listed, I add 10-12 cloves.  We are garlic lovers!  I buy the giant bag of fresh, pre-peeled garlic at Costco to save me time in the garlic department.  (Not the pre-minced garlic in a jar...I don't care for that one.)

Also, I don't add heat to this soup.  This recipe is perfect as is, but if you want heat, feel free to add a seeded, diced jalepeno or two to the chopped veggies or a can of diced green chilis with the broth.  Totally your call.


2 Tablespoons coconut oil

1 onion, diced

4 celery stalks, chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced (see note above)

2 jalepeno peppers, seeded and diced (optional)

2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks

1 Tablespoon cumin

2 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. Italian seasoning

1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt or sea salt

1/2 tsp. black pepper

*Helpful hint: put the cumin, chili powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper into a small bowl prior to beginning.  That way you can just dump it on top of the chicken rather than measuring it all out while the chicken is over the heat.

4 cups chicken broth

1 (4oz.) can diced green chilis (optional)

1 (14oz) can coconut milk

Optional Garnishes: Avocado (highly recommend!), cilantro (the more the merrier!), jalepeno rings


Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat.  

Add the onions, celery, garlic, and jalepenos, if using.  Sauté for about 5 minutes or until tender.

Move the veggies to the side of the pot and add the chicken and the bowl of spices.  Cook the chicken until it has started to brown on all sides.

Add the broth and the can of diced green chilis (if you're using them).  Bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 10-12 minutes.

Add the coconut milk.  Bring the soup back up to a boil and let it boil at a full rolling boil for 10 minutes until the soup has slightly reduced and thickened.  (It is NOT a thick soup so don't be looking for a chowder consistency...it will just be slightly thicker than broth.)

Remove from heat and serve immediately with the optional garnishes.  

No comments: