Friday, April 3, 2020

Banana Bread

Day 13727239 of quarantine has lead to baking.  Boredom baking.  Need to use up the bananas baking.  And it makes me a rock star with my family so I'll take it.  I love using my bread machine for this recipe because it does all the work for me.  Obvi you don't need to use all organic ingredients if you don't have them but it does make a difference in the taste, IMO.  

Dump into the bread machine:
-2 cups organic flour
-1 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 tsp. baking soda
-3/4 cup organic sugar
-pinch of Himalayan pink salt
-3 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
-2 organic eggs
-2 organic bananas, mashed
-1 glob of raw local honey
-1 drop of YL Cinnamon Bark essential oil (or 2 tsp. ground cinnamon)
-A splash of vanilla extract
-Optional: chopped nuts such as chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, or sliced almonds

I use the "quick bread" setting on my bread machine.  My quick bread setting runs for 2 hours.  It beeps at 1 hour and 30 minutes and that's when I take it out.  If I leave it in there the remaining 30 minutes, the outside is too dark for us.  A friend of mine's quick bread setting isn't long enough and she has to bake hers an additional 10 minutes.  So there seems to be some differences between bread machines and how long each quick bread setting runs, so just keep an eye on it.  When your bread is golden around the edges and slightly soft but not gooey on the top, you're done!  Let it sit in the bread pan for 10-15 minutes to cool slightly, then remove the loaf from the pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.  We like to eat ours warm out of the bread machine with a thick layer of grass-fed butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

No comments: