Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Elderberry Syrup

If you haven't already, go google "benefits of elderberry syrup" and read all the things.  My family gets a dose of elderberry syrup everyday, no ifs-ands-or-buts, during cold and flu season.  It does an incredible job at keeping your immune system nice and strong so you're not miserable for months with sickness running rampant through your home.  And if one of those nasty little germs does happen infiltrate your system, elderberry syrup kicks it right back out.  Between this and my strict oily regimen, we generally stay pretty healthy.

Now, I'm not a huge DIY-er.  But elderberry syrup can get pricy when you're religiously giving it to 4 people every single day.  There are lots of great options for buying a ready-made bottle on Amazon and in a pinch (like when I forgot to pack it during our last trip to Ohio) I primed myself a bottle and that was that.  This is the one I like to order on Amazon. It's for kids but we all take it.

But what I REALLY like to do is make my own.  It's MUCH cheaper and makes A LOT.  And it's super quick if you have an Instant Pot.  And if you don't have an Instant Pot, get one here.  I've had mine for years and I seriously don't know how I did all the things without one.  I use it every single day...even more than I use my stove.  She even has a name you guys.  I just love her so.  Also, I don't get paid from any of these links I'm sharing...I just want to make it super easy for you to get what you need and make life easier.

1 cup dried, organic elderberries (You can get them here.)
4 cups water
1 cup raw, unfiltered honey (I use this.)
1 cinnamon stick, broken (or 1 tablespoon of cinnamon)
1 tablespoon ginger (or 1 inch of fresh ginger)
Lemon 
Orange
Thieves
Frankincense

Place the dried elderberries, cinnamon stick, and water into the liner of your Instant Pot.  
Lock the lid in place and set the valve to the Sealing position.
Process on manual, high pressure for 9 minutes.  
Quick Release the pressure after the 9 minutes is up and set the pot to the Sauté feature.  
Allow the mixture to simmer for about 10 minutes.  While its simmering, use a potato masher or metal slotted spoon to mash the berries.
After it's simmered, carefully strain the liquid into a bowl using a fine mesh strainer.  Use the back of a spoon to mash the berries against the strainer making sure all of the juice comes out of the berries.  
Let the syrup cool to room temperature.
Once cooled, add the honey and 2-3 drops of each oil and stir until well incorporated.  
I keep mine in mason jars in the fridge.

Standard dose is 1/2 tsp. - 1 tsp. for kids and 1 tablespoon for adults everyday.  If a cold or flu does strike, take the normal dose every 2-3 hours instead of once a day until symptoms disappear.

No comments: