Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Whole Wheat Toddler Pancakes

Hello Friends!  This is my very first Toddler Food post!  Since my daughter is growing (way too fast, I might add) she is really into trying all kinds of new foods.  "Out with the baby food, mom!  In with the good stuff, please!"  One of her favorite things for breakfast are these pancakes!  They're healthy and slightly sweet and she can down 2 of them along with her fresh fruit.  I usually make about 3 batches of these at a time and freeze them.  That way we have a quick Sunday morning breakfast or on-the-go breakfast that I don't have to think about!  To thaw and heat I simply take them strait from the freezer to the toaster.  The number 4 setting on our toaster makes them perfect toasty and warm.  Oh, and a little trick:  Consider mixing the batter in a 4 or 8 cup measuring cup with a handle.  That way you can pour the batter directly onto the hot griddle.

1 large egg
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick oats
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar (I use packed brown sugar.)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
butter or shortening for the griddle or skillet

Preheat a griddle or a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
In a medium mixing bowl (or that measuring cup I was talking about), beat the egg with a fork.  Add remaining ingredients (except butter/shortening) and beat until smooth.  
Once the griddle is heated, smear some butter or shortening on the skillet so the pancakes don't stick to the surface while they cook.  Pour the batter onto the hot griddle in the size you want your pancakes.  For my little one, I make them about the size of the palm of my hand...maybe less than 1/4 cup of batter.  (I eye-ball it.)  
Cook the pancake until bubbles appear all over the top and the edges get puffy.  Flip the pancake and cook the other side until golden brown. 
If you plan on making multiple batches to freeze, I lay each pancake side-by-side in a single layer on a cookie sheet and stick it in the freezer for about 30 minutes.  I then transfer the partially frozen pancakes into a freezer bag and store. 

No comments: