Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Slow Cooker Cilantro-Lime Chicken

My husband and I have recently been looking for some clean eating recipes.  We both feel we need to get rid of some of the sugar and carbs which I'll be honest...that can get ugly.  I was finding that some of the clean eating recipes I had tried were not the flavors that my family typically enjoys.  We like our food to have lots of flavor.  I've found that if the food I cook doesn't have good flavor and the types of flavors we enjoy, we will NEVER stick to any kind of "diet".  Therefore, food must be good.  It can be healthy, but it must be tasty.  So, I was PLEASANTLY surprised by how much flavor this chicken had! Everything about this dish, except for the flour tortillas I had, is clean.  You can probably find clean flour tortillas, but I was in a pinch and only had store brand, regular flour tortillas.  But give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!

8 chicken breast halves, or 4 whole breasts
4 limes
1 bunch of cilantro
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4-1/2 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
salsa
avocados
sour cream
flour tortillas, warmed

Lay the chicken breasts into the bottom of a 5 quart crock pot.  
Take one of the limes and remove the zest with a micro-plane.  Add the zest to the crock pot.  Take all 4 of the limes and squeeze all of the juice over the chicken.
Add enough chicken broth to the crock pot to barely cover the bottom.
Sprinkle the chicken generously with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Chop the onion and throw it in.
Remove the cilantro leaves from the stems and set aside.  Tie the cilantro stems together and lay them on top of the chicken and onions.
Cook on Low for 4-6 hours.
When the chicken has cooked through, remove the cilantro stems and discard.  Remove the chicken from the crock pot and place it in a baking dish.  Using 2 forks, give it a good shred.  Now, I had to discard some of the broth left in the crock pot.  There was way too much (because I think I used more chicken broth than what the recipe called for).  So if you have A LOT of broth, you should get rid of some.  You don't want the chicken to be "soupy".  You just want enough liquid left over to make the chicken moist.  Return the shredded chicken to the crock pot and let it soak up some of the liquid.  To serve, place shredded chicken down the middle of a warmed flour tortilla.  Spoon some salsa on top of the chicken and layer with avocados, sour cream, and chopped cilantro leaves.  Roll it up and enjoy! 

No comments: