Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Spaghetti and Meatballs

I know, I know!  Who needs a recipe for spaghetti and meatballs?  And you're really going to think that I've lost my mind once you read the ingredient list.  This is one of those dishes that everyone, and I mean e-very-one makes.  From the tired working mom to the single dude, spaghetti and meatballs is an easy staple.  I'm sure you have at least most of the ingredients in your pantry right now.  When my in-laws came down for their last visit, my MIL insisted that she make dinner a night or two while they were here.  This recipe is SO good and SOOOOOO easy that I couldn't believe it.  And there's like NO work that goes along with it.  Everything is store bought (don't judge!) and I make a fresh veggie to go along with it (steamed broccoli, green beans...or a garden salad) so that there's a green veggie on our plates. I also grab a box of that frozen three-cheese Texas toast...in the words of my 15 month old daughter, "Mmmmmmmmmm!"

2 jars Ragu Traditional Spaghetti Sauce
1 Family Size box of frozen Banquet Meatballs w/Marinara Sauce; at least partially thawed
1/3 cup sugar
1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic (I keep a jar in the fridge instead of mincing my own.)
2 boxes spaghetti, angel hair, thin spaghetti...whatever; I prefer regular 'ol spaghetti.

In a medium sauce pot mix together the Ragu, meatballs w/sauce, sugar, and garlic.  Turn the heat to Med/Low and allow the sauce to come to a light simmer; stirring occasionally throughout the day.  I like to start the sauce around 3:30 in the afternoon so it has a good, long time to simmer before dinner which is usually around 6:00 for us.  If you don't have that kind of time, just get it heated up and let it simmer as long as you can.  And if you're going to be gone all day, throw it all in a 3qt. crock pot and let it go on Low all day.  This is VERY versatile.
Anyway, let those flavors get nice and happy together.
When you're ready for dinner cook the pasta as directed on the package.
Let everyone get as much pasta as they want and generously ladle the sauce and meatballs over top.  Serve with the veggies and/or salad and bread. 

No comments: