Monday, December 10, 2012

Skinny Chicken Pesto Bake

A friend of mine, and fellow lover of Skinny Taste, texted me and raved about this Skinny Chicken Pesto Bake.  I read through it and immediately put all of the ingredients on my grocery list.  I finally got around to making it this week and it is SO amazing!  In the original recipe she uses her own homemade pesto.  I didn't have any so I used store bought, but if you'd like her homemade skinny pesto recipe, click here. Also, if you've read much of my blog at all then you know how I feel about tomatoes.  Her original Skinny Chicken Pesto Bake recipe includes tomatoes baked onto the top of the chicken...and that's just not for me.  So I omitted them.  But if you'd like to follow her original recipe which includes tomato slices, click here.  For the rest of us non-tomato lovers, this recipe's for us. 

4 chicken breast halves
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup pesto
1/2-3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Wash chicken and dry with a paper towel.  Lightly season with salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with foil for easy clean up.
Place seasoned chicken onto prepared baking sheet.  Divide the pesto evenly over each chicken breast and spread it around making sure the pesto covers the entire top of the breast.
Bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear.
Remove the chicken from the oven and add a layer of mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese to each breast.  Return to the oven and bake an additional 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.  I served it with sauteed mushrooms and green beans.

No comments: