Friday, November 30, 2012

Crusty French Bread

We have been trying to eat less bread in our house...so I stopped buying it.  Then I found different things that I need bread for and I've started making my own.  Turns out the stuff I make is WAY better than the stuff I used to buy...so the plan kind of back fired on me.  Here's a yummy little recipe I came across when I was looking for a homemade crusty bread I could serve with soups.  And it's easy!  I am not all about some weirdo-complicated-all day-wacko ingredients-perfect home air temps-dough.  So this worked well for me.

Note: I used my stand mixer with the dough hook attachment for all beating/kneading that is required. 

2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
5-5 1/2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water.  Allow the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes.
Add the salt, oil, and 3 cups of flour.  Beat for 2 minutes.  Add remaining 2-2 1/2 cups of flour to make a stiff dough.  Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic; approximately 10 minutes.
Place the dough in an oiled bowl and turn the dough to coat the entire surface with oil.  Cover with a clean dish towel and allow to rise until the dough has doubled.  (I think it took about 1 hour in my chilly house.)
After the dough is doubled, punch it down and divide it in half.  Shape the dough into two long slender loaves.
Grease a cookie sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal; if you have any. (I didn't...so I used flour and it was fine.)  Place the dough on the sheet and cut long diagonal gashes on the top. (I used scissors.)
Cover again and let rise until doubled.
Bake for 30 minutes.  For an extra crispy crust, spray with water periodically during the baking.


No comments: