Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Baked Spaghetti

My husband loves spaghetti...but I'm not a huge fan.  I think it's boring.  But on the other hand, it's cheap.  And I like cheap.  So I set out on a mission to satisfy his spaghetti taste buds without offending my own.  This is what I came up with and we think it's awesome!

8 oz. pkg spaghetti, cooked
4 eggs, beaten and divided
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups cottage cheese, drained (VERY important to drain it)
1 lb. ground beef, browned
2 cups spaghetti sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
In a medium mixing bowl, beat two eggs and Parmesan cheese together.  Add cooked spaghetti to egg mixture and mix well.  Transfer to your lightly greased casserole dish.
Next, in a medium mixing bowl (I used the same one as the spaghetti) beat two more eggs and combine with your DRAINED cottage cheese.  Spread the cottage cheese mixture over the spaghetti.  
Then, to your already browned ground beef, add the spaghetti sauce and mix well.  Spread the ground beef mixture on top of the cottage cheese.  Sprinkle the top with the shredded mozzarella.  Pop it in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.  Serve with garlic bread.

*Note: The reason I make a big deal about draining the cottage cheese is because the first time I made this it came out all watery at the bottom.  It didn't taste bad...but who wants watery spaghetti?!  So the second time I made it, as I was going through the recipe I realized the only really moist ingredient is the cottage cheese.  So I put the cottage cheese into a fine mesh strainer and let it sit for a while over a bowl and allowed the moisture to drip out...made all the difference in the world!  No more water in the bottom of the spaghetti! 

No comments: