Thursday, September 13, 2012

Coke and Barbeque Meatballs

I made these meatballs for the "Cola War" activity we had at my church with the Youth Group.  Everything I made used some sort of a soda in the ingredients.  Even the meatballs.  I cheat a little bit by using my favorite store bought meatballs from Costco (holla!)...gotta love me some Costco!  But the sauce is where it's at.  This is one of those things where it's not really a "recipe", but it's a "how to".  Kind of like my guacamole.  I served these meatballs with the Coke Poke Cake.

The sauce is as follows:
1 cup barbeque sauce, my favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's, but use whatever you like
1 cup of Coca-Cola

Now, the bag of meatballs I buy, and the size of the crowd I usually feed, calls for way more than what ends up being 2 cups of sauce.  So if you're making the huge bag of meatballs from Costco, you might start with 2 cups of barbeque sauce and 2 cups of Coke and make more as you see fit.  It all depends on how saucy you like your meatballs.
I add the entire bag of meatballs to my 5 quart crock pot and pour the sauce over top.  Let them cook all day on low until meatballs are thawed and warm and sauce is runny.  Stir occasionally to "baste" meatballs in sauce.  And if you're reading this and thinking "Eh... I can't believe she uses store bought meatballs!", in your snobbiest voice possible...here ya' go.

No comments: