Thursday, September 13, 2012

Chicken and Yellow Rice Casserole

This is one of those "all in one dish" meals that you'll love after a long day at work...but this one actually tastes good.  It's quick, easy and versatile.  It can be used as a main dish, as I am presenting it here, or you can leave the chicken out of it and use it as a side dish.  Up to you!  It's also very easy to double this recipe, divide the mixture in half and freeze one for later.

2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 (8oz.) box yellow rice, I prefer Zatarains
1 stick butter
1 (10.5oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1 (15oz.) can of corn, drained
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook rice according to package directions, except leave out the butter.  Combine cooked rice and remaining ingredients (minus 1/2 cup cheese) in a large bowl.  Transfer mixture into a 9x13 baking dish and top with remaining cheese.  Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

**Shredding Chicken**
As a little side note, I'll share with you how I shred my chicken.  I have many recipes that call for cooked, shredded chicken.  So I stalk the grocery stores.  Yep, I stalk them looking for boneless, skinless chicken breasts SUPER cheap.  As in they're normally $20 a package but I buy them for $6...cheap!  When I find such a deal, I buy as many packages as I can afford, bring them home, portion them out and freeze them.  But, I take one entire package, throw all of the breasts in the crock pot with a little bit of water and cook on low all day until they're done.  Once they're done, take them out one by one onto a cutting board and shred them with two forks.  Once it's all shredded, portion them out into 1 cup portions and freeze.  That way you always have cooked, shredded chicken on hand and it makes your recipes that much easier.  And for goodness sakes DO NOT throw out the liquid that's left in the bottom of the crock pot.  That stuff is homemade chicken broth!  Pour it into a container and freeze that for later too!  You're welcome.

No comments: