Friday, September 14, 2012

White Chicken Chili

I am someone who does not prefer a red chili.  I think I was scarred for life by the bean filled mush they used to serve in the school cafeteria that they claimed was "chili".  I am also weird about my tomatoes.  I have some texture issues and that goop in the middle of the tomato that holds the seeds makes me gag every time.  So a chunky, red chili will send me running in the opposite direction.  Therefore, I am a white chili fan.  I always double this recipe and either freeze half for later or send nice hearty bowl fulls to work with the hubs for lunch.  This might be his favorite soup.  
For this soup I prepare it one of two ways; depending on the schedule for my day.  If I have a busy day ahead, I will just throw everything in the crock pot and let it do its thang all day long.  If I have time in the evening and just decide that I want white chili, it works well on the stove top too.  I will put instructions for both below.

2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size chunks
1 medium onion, diced
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (more to taste)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 (15oz.) cans great northern beans
2 (15oz.) cans chicken broth
2 (4oz.) cans chopped green chilies (optional)
1 tsp. salt (more to taste)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 - 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you like)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup half-and-half (you can use fat free if desired)
Toppings: 
tobasco sauce
shredded cheddar cheese
frito's or tortilla chips
additional sour cream

For stove top:
In a large stock pot saute onion, garlic powder, and chicken in oil until onions are soft and chicken is just starting to turn white.  Add beans, broth, chilies, salt, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.  Add sour cream and half-and-half.  Heat until warmed.

For crock pot:
In a 5 quart crock pot, omit oil, add all ingredients except for sour cream and half-and-half.  Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.  Add sour cream and half-and-half.  Stir until all sour cream is dissolved and heat until warmed.

To serve:
If you like a little crunchy with your soup, add some frito's or tortilla chips to the bottom of the bowl.  Add a nice ladle full of soup to the bowl. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and tobasco sauce...for our spicy lovin' friends of course.  This soup goes very well with Corn Bread.



No comments: