Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Carrot Cake

I made this cake for my husband's 30th birthday and took it to our Sunday School class.  At the time, I taught another Sunday School class so I wasn't in there when everyone was eating the cake.  When my class was dismissed, I was doing some other things around the church and everywhere I turned people were commenting on how amazing this cake was!  I was glad, as I had never made it before.  Bad habit of mine.  Serving new things to people before I test it on myself first.  This one was a success!  Whew!


2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups shredded carrot
1-8oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degree.
Using a mixer, combine sugar, oil, and eggs together until creamed.  In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.  Add carrots and walnuts to the mixture.  (The pineapple and coconut can be omitted if desired.  If you choose to add it, add it in with the carrots and walnuts.)
Pour batter into two greased 8" round cake tins, dispensing them evenly between the two tins.  Pop into the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool completely.  Frost with cream cheese icing.

No comments: