Thursday, February 7, 2013

Chili

I know...if you've read my White Chicken Chili post and now you're reading this post you're most definitely calling me a liar.  But once you see the ingredient list and notice the lack of "chunky stuff", you'll understand.  In my white chili post I vehemently express my feelings about red, chunky, traditional chili.  This recipe comes from my mother-in-law and she and I have the same feelings about chili.  If you are in the same boat we are, give this one a shot.  
*Here is my "warning" for this recipe though...my MIL and I both eyeball everything about this recipe except for the tomato juice. We add all of the ingredients until it tastes good.  I will put my guestimate as to how much of each ingredient, but use your own judgement and taste as you go.  You might like more or less of something.

2 quarts tomato juice
2 lbs. ground beef, browned
1/2 cup dehydrated onions
1 can refried beans
2 cans great northern beans
1-2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 a bottle of chili powder (yep...you heard right; but the grocery store size, not Costco size)
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and the dehydrated onions together.  I usually add some salt and garlic powder to the meat too.  Why not?
In a 5-quart crock pot, add all ingredients.  Add spices and seasonings but taste as you go until the strong tomato taste is gone and is replaced with a more "chili" type flavor.  (See...this is why I'm not a traditional chili expert.  Just throw everything in there until it tastes good. K?) Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on Low all day long.  You've already browned the beef, so you just want it nice and hot and the refried beans to be melted into the soup.  Once the soup is nice and hot, taste it again and adjust the seasonings according to your liking.
This pairs wonderfully with cornbread!  
Top with your favorite toppings.  We like to use frito's, sour cream, cheese, and saltine crackers.  OH, AND, if you want something REALLY yummy, dip a peanut butter sandwich in it.  We didn't know this was weird until we moved to Virginia and got funny looks.  But trust me, everybody in Ohio does it.

No comments: