Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Poutine

For 3 years I worked with a girl from Newfoundland, Canada and she introduced me to this tasty little dish called Poutine (pronounced: poo-teen).  It's basically french fries, doused in gravy, topped with cheese.  She says there are many variations to the dish, i.e. the type of cheese you use, the type of gravy...etc...but this is how she did it.  And I like it.  I've made it so many times I don't even use a recipe anymore, so I'm just guessing as to the amounts of ingredients.

1 package of your favorite frozen french fry
2 jars (or 2 1/2 cups) prepared gravy, I prefer poultry gravy but you can use brown too
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
seasoning salt, to taste

In a 9x13 dish place enough french fries to feed your family; it's Ok if they are more than 1 layer deep.  Generously sprinkle with seasoning salt and bake according to french fry packaging.
I buy the large container of gravy mix from Costco, so while the fries are baking I make 2 1/2 cups of gravy according to the gravy package directions.  If you are using jars of gravy, chill out until the fries are done.
Once the fries are baked, pour gravy over the whole thing so that they are swimming in the stuff.  Generously sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top and place back into the oven for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melty and gooey.

No comments: