Thursday, September 13, 2012

Peppy Mexican Pie

This yummy pie is another little treasure my Pastor's wife passed along to me.  It's a great way to get your Mexican tooth fix...is there such a thing?...without a huge mess or spread of toppings.

1 lb. ground beef
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1 cup sour cream
1 (8oz.) can of crescent rolls
1 small can of green chilies (These are optional and I don't like green chilies...but they add something to this dish that I just can't describe.  Give 'em a shot.)
1 packet taco seasoning
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I like to make life simple and use dehydrated onion.)
2/3 cup mayo (or miracle whip)
2 medium tomatoes, sliced thinly
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a skillet, brown ground beef, drain and then add taco seasoning and 1 cup water.  Simmer until water is absorbed.  Meanwhile, combine olives, onion, sour cream, and mayo in a bowl.  Set aside.
Separate crescent roll dough into triangles.  Place triangles in a 9-inch pie plate.  Press over bottom and up sides to form a crust.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  Spoon meat mixture evenly over crust.  Arrange tomato slices over meat.  Sprinkle with chilies and 1 cup of cheese.  Spread sour cream mixture evenly over filling.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake for 25-30 minutes until crust is golden and cheese is melted.  Cut into wedges and serve.  Serves 6.

1 comment:

The Weekly Baker said...

Great recipe! I have the same situation going on except it's a recipe-binder abyss! I keep saying I'm going to organize it, but... I'm too busy cooking :P