Thursday, October 5, 2023

Pork Chops and Sauerkraut

 

My entire life my family has made pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day.  It's a very German thing to do and we have a lot of German in our ancestry.  Every year of my childhood I tried to like sauerkraut.  I couldn't do it.  It took me 38 years to get brave enough to make it for my family.  My husband LOVES sauerkraut and my kids are down for trying anything.  My baby sister came through with the recipe that made us all sauerkraut lovers!  So even if you've never been a fan, give this recipe a try.  It's SO good!

6 pork chops, 3/4 inch thick

2 lb. bag of sauerkraut, drained

1/2 cup brown sugar

half of a green apple, diced

salt and pepper to taste

Lightly salt and pepper both sides of your pork chops.  Brown both sides of the pork chops in a hot skillet and place into the bottom of a slow cooker.

Cover the pork chops with the drained sauerkraut.

Sprinkle the sauerkraut with the brown sugar and top with the diced apples.

Cook on high for 4 hours.  Serve with your favorite side dishes.

No comments: