Saturday, September 13, 2014

Bananas 'n Cream Bundt Cake

Uugghhhh....banana bread?  You've got super rip bananas sitting in your fruit bowl and you're so over it.  You're thinking about just cutting your losses and tossing them.  That's where I was.  I'm not much for banana bread.  Unless my grandma made it...'cause who doesn't like grandma's banana bread?!?!  But for me to make banana bread, I need to be giving it to someone.  Because if I don't, then I just have banana bread sitting on my counter going bad instead of the actual banana.  What's the point?  If you've read one of my previous posts, you already know I've had a lot of time on my hands recently and I've filled some of that time with baking.  This recipe came from some of that boredom.  And I'm SO glad!  Forget the banana bread...I'm making THIS with my super ripe bananas from here on out!  It's so, so moist and kinda dense and the flavor is out of this world!  Now, if you're going to make it, make sure your bananas are WAY ripe.  As in, if they sit on your counter another day they'll be rotten.  Really, really, REALLY ripe bananas are best for this cake.

1/3 cup shortening
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups ripe bananas (about 4)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup chopped nuts of your choice (optional)
powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
In a large mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in vanilla.  Peel the bananas.  If they're ripe enough, you can just break them into 3 or 4 chunks and throw them in.  If they're not SUPER ripe, then you should mash them with a fork first.  Add the bananas to the mixing bowl and mix well.
  
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream, stirring just until combined.  Add the nuts, if you're using them.

Pour the mixture into a well greased bundt pan.  Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes before inverting it onto a plate.  Cool completely and dust with powdered sugar, if you're into that kind of thing. 

No comments: