Friday, September 14, 2012

Iced Coffee


I LOVE iced coffee.  If there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I'm a coffee drinkin' kinda girl.  I love hot coffee, cold coffee, flavored coffee, plain coffee....as long as it's good, strong coffee, sign me up!  That being said, there is never a day in the summer time where my fridge is without an ample supply of cold brewed coffee just waiting to be poured over some ice with a splash of cream.  And if I have any on hand, a little dollop of Homemade Whipped Cream.  It's my life.  No joke.  So when I stumbled upon this how-to on The Pioneer Woman's website, I knew we would be very good friends.
 
 
 

First you need some coffee grounds.  I like to make cold brewed coffee by the gallon, so I use 1/2 lb. of ground coffee.  Add your coffee grounds to a bowl that is big enough to hold a gallon of water plus the coffee grounds.
 



Then add 1 gallon of cold water.




Stir the coffee and the water together until all of the coffee grounds come into contact with the water.
Put a lid on your container and let it steep in the fridge for at least 8 hours.  Or longer if you like....I usually go longer.  Like I said, strong coffee for this girl.




After you're satisfied with the amount of time your coffee has steeped, line a mesh strainer with a couple of layers of cheesecloth.




Place your mesh strainer over top of a pitcher.  Pour your coffee mixture into the mesh strainer and wait.  And wait.  And wait.  Until all of the coffee soaks through the cheese cloth and all you're left with is a sludgy mess of coffee grounds in the cheese cloth and glorious liquid gold in the pitcher.




See.  Liquid gold.  Makes me very happy.




Now grab yourself a glass...or mason jar....and fill it up with ice.  And coffee.




Add cream and sweetener to your little heart's desire, grab a straw, and sink into your favorite chair with a good book.  Go ahead.  You'll love it!







No comments: